Thursday 17 September 2015

#WEARABLE-TECH - MY BUCKETFEET SHOE DESIGN, by ALEXI K


My personal philosophy regarding 'art' is a distinctly non-academic one. I've put in my ten thousand man-hours, and therefore, the decision is entirely mine to decide where it goes and how it gets disseminated. We're living in the future now, so as well as just looking at my work, if you can live in it, drink it, eat it, brush your teeth with it...that's fine by me.

Inspired by my love of urban futurism and electronic music, the ELECTRONIQUE is the first example of wearable Alexi K art.


[UPDATE: Since my shoe design came out in 2015, the manufacturers were bought out, so the Electronique is now no longer available.]


It began in 2013, when I did a bunch of articles for my black & white art mag MONOBLOG, featuring sci-fi film-making gurus Anthony Scott Burns, Ash Thorp and Bradley ( GMunk ) Munkowitz.




Looking for a cool custom background for one of these editions - and inspired by the enthralling 'graphic user interfaces' that some these guys specialize in - I found a very ordinary electronic diagram, and abstractified it until it started to look interesting. 

It's like any other collage. You chop / rotate / mirror / cut / paste / edit , according to the configurations that suit your personal sense of balance.

Like a Rorschach test, you start to think you can see shapes or figures amongst all the lines and shapes.


Below: Alternative Iteration, 2013




For example, to me, the picture above evokes an eerie A.I. version of the Turin Shroud


( Detail below ).




Shortly afterwards, I was still in this mode when I submitted one of the many iterations to Bucketfeet...lo and behold, it's now a shoe!


Below: Alternative Iteration, 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.